07 January 2012

The Farm House: Chapter-3A

Continuing from last time...


Since the next day was Friday and he did not have any classes, Eric called the lawyer’s office and set-up an appointment for later that afternoon. Luckily, Pam didn't have classes either, so she was able to go with him. They walked to the Student Union Building, grabbed a sack lunch, and then headed for I-95 and the 2 ½ hour drive to Portland.

“Thanks for inviting me along, Eric. I'm so glad to be able to get away from campus for a while. Ever since I became an RA, it seems like I never get a chance to go anywhere anymore.”

Eric glanced over at Pam and said, “Hey, I’m glad you were able to come, too. I know that it’s not going to be the most exciting day we could have, but maybe when we’re done, we could go find something fun to do.”

Adjusting her sunglasses Pam said, “That sounds great and because I have elected to give up my valuable Friday to accompany you on this little adventure, at the very least, I think that I deserve a lobster dinner.”

“I couldn't agree more and that's why I took the liberty of making reservations at the Red lobster.”
Eric had to duck to try and miss Pam’s jab, but the sore arm was well worth the comment.

Adjusting the radio, Pam asked, “You know Eric, I was wondering what you plan to do now that you are soon to be the owner of a farm?”

“You know, I've been thinking about that and I’ll probably end up selling it. Listen, you know that I’m studying to be a history professor and I don’t know the first thing about running a farm. I mean, does it have cows and horses? Are there crops that need tending? I'm a city boy, I have no clue about that kind of stuff.”

Pam studied Eric, “I realize that, Eric, but you really need to keep your options open. Just try and not make any decisions until you actually see the place. You never know what you might find.”

“Yeah, I’ll keep that in mind,” Eric mumbled. Except for the occasional chitchat, Pam left Eric to his thoughts for the rest of the trip. She knew that this could not be an easy decision for him to make, especially since he hadn’t even seen the place yet.

As for Eric, he was frantically trying to figure out what to do. He's on his way to take ownership of a farm that has been in his family for over four-hundred years. If he decides to sell it, as he is intending, that means that he would be responsible for throwing away a huge chunk of family history. On the one hand, how could he possibly manage to handle a farm and his studies? Here he is, a twenty-three year old guy on the fast-track to a PhD and a promising career as a college professor, who suddenly gets presented with a four- hundred year old farm. On the other, there's a truckload of guilt being laid at his feet if he sells the farm. After all, who wants to known as the killer of the family history? Can't you just smell the guilt?

“Uh Pam, I know you think that I should wait to make a decision, but I really think that I might have to sell it. I mean, there is just no way that I'm going to be able to handle all my school work and a farm. Also, how will I even be able to afford the place? I really don't know what to do, but I’ll keep my options open.”

“Look Eric, I’m not here to tell you how to run your life, I just want you to make an informed decision and in order to do that, you need to have all the facts lined-up in front of you. I know that you'll make the right choice and I'll be there for you.”

Eric glanced over at Pam and said, “Thanks Pam, I appreciate that.”

With that decided, they spent the remaining time enjoying the countryside.



To be continued...


The Farm House: Chapter-3B


Copyright © 2010 by Tim A Hicks. All Rights Reserved

The Farm House on Smashwords

Read from the first installment here... The Farm House Chapter: 1A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics