28 April 2009

Slowing Down for a Few Weeks

photo of koko in a small boxHi, I just wanted to let everyone know that I will probably not be posting as often as I have been. For the next few weeks, I will be extra busy with the homeschooling thing. You see, in addition to trying to get the regular school work completed on time, I am also helping my kids get prepared for the state tests they have to take. They have already taken the math portion, so the only two tests that they need to take are language and reading. Reading is not an issue, but the language portion has me tearing out what's left of my hair. Let's see: gerund phrases, predicate nominatives, and indefinite pronouns as antecedents, to name just a few. Now, what ever happened to the usual nouns and verbs that I grew up learning about. Why do we have to learn about this stuff? Oops, some more hair just came out of my head. You see, just writing about this stuff is making me go bald.

If this were not enough, they are also in the process of writing their middle school project, which happens to be on segregation. To reward their hard work on this project, I told them that I would publish their projects on my site. I was not expecting to see two faces staring back at me in abject fear. I realize that my site is not the best one out there, but I never imagined that just the thought of having something posted on it would bring about such an adverse reaction. There goes some more hair.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that, even thought I won't be posting as often, I'll still be lurking around the Internet and trying not to lose too much more hair. Oh, has anyone heard of a hosting company called Justhost.com?

9 comments:

  1. Hey, I see your LinkWithin is finally working--Yippee! I think it's a really nice feature.

    Funny, as I was reading your post about not posting as often b/c of the homeschooling "crisis" I thought why not let the kids post something and then you did mention that you would post their assignment. I'm surprised at their reaction too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mention of posting their work online struck fear in me as if it was my work being published! But, I'd actually like to read theirs so I think it's a good idea! And I'm sure your wife would agree, you're only allowed to lose weight, not hair. When will you guys understand this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have a full plate. We'll keep the blogosphere going until you get back.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry": Yeah, it turned out the template I was using was preventing it from working. So, because I could also not rearrange my widgets, I changed back to a different template.

    Tina: We live in Idaho and it is a bear to get them prepared for the test. The one coming up takes into account everything they have learned throughout the entire year. I hope I have some hair left, too. Thanks:)

    BeadedTail: Thanks! I know, but I try not to do anything half-way:)

    Da Old Man: Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of JustHost. Are they cheap? I'm very, very happy with Hostgator, and I also have an account with Dreamhost (which is eh). Bluehost is not very good, IMHO.

    I hear ya on the homeschool stuff. It does pile up sometimes. The hair will grow back, take it from me. Well, most of it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca: Thanks for the information. Yes, Justhost costs $3.95 per month and it includes a free domain name. I am really tempted to give them a try but, like you, I have never heard of them before. I think I'll wait and see for now.
    I sure hope it does grow back, because I can't afford to lose much more;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AFTR...here I am, so dropped while here too. Good luck on the end of the year stuff. I used to always feel it was a busier time when you had kids at home then Christmas. My daugher's experiencing again. She's teaching 5th grade, is graduating from grad school next month, applying for jobs in another city and I know she agrees with how busy you are.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy: Thanks for stopping by. I'm having problems with two, I can't imagine how your daughter does it with 20+. Wish her all the best for me in her job search:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What state are you in? I am SO GLAD we do not have to do that here in Michigan. That sounds nothing like fun at all. I hope you still have some hair left!
    (Dead link removed. Comment originally made on...April 29, 2009 1:21 PM)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics