|Ingredients for tahini|
While there are a variety of uses for tahini, I usually just use it as a base in my hummus recipe. While you can spend $6.50 or more to get 16 ounces of if from the store, you can make your own and customize it to your taste. The recipe that follows is a basic tahini recipe and you can add other flavors to get the taste you desire. for just a fraction of the cost. As with my Lipton Onion Soup Mix recipe, I used items I got from the bulk bin at our grocery store (Winco). The cost of one pound of sesame seeds at Winco was $3.83. For this price, you get a massive amount, since sesame seeds weight next to nothing. You can easily make this recipe 3 or more times. In addition, if you make your own hamburger buns, the sesame seeds make a great topper to them. Well, enough talk.
What you need:
- 4 Cups: Sesame seeds (toasted)
- 1/4 - 1/2 Cup: Olive oil
Putting it Together:
The first thing you will want to do is toast the sesame seeds. I find it easiest to first line a cookie pan with parchment paper.
- Set oven to 350 degrees
- Add the four cups of sesame seeds to the parchment-lined cookie sheet and spread evenly
|Sesame seeds on parchment-lined cookie sheet|
- Put in oven for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes, stir the seeds to mix them up
- Put in oven an additional 5 minutes
- After a total of 10 minutes in the oven, remove and check the seeds. They should be slightly browned. If not, return to oven and check every 2 minutes or so.
- Once you begin to smell the sesame seeds, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool
Once cooled, place in food processer (do this slowly, because they like to jump EVERYWHERE!!)
- Process in food processer until well crushed
- Slowly begin to add the oil
- Continue adding the olive oil until the sesame seeds come together to form a paste
|Tahini coming together|
- Place in a mason jar and store in the refrigerator
|Tahini ready for the refrigerator|
Note: This is a basic tahini recipe. There are other recipes that have you add 3-5 cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, and salt. If you desire to try this, then add the garlic and lemon juice before you begin to add the olive oil. Feel free to experiment, adjust this recipe to your own tastes, and have fun!!