03 June 2008

Climbing out of the Plateau

photo of a skeleton sitting at a computer smoking and drinking coffee
Well, it’s happened again. I have hit, yet again, another weight loss plateau. At first, I thought it was just a result of the new strength exercises I was doing, but after 4 weeks at the same weight, I have to say that it looks suspiciously like a plateau.

I am so tired of these things. The first one I hit came after I lost 40 pounds. This current one has come after losing only 8 pounds. I was hoping that I wouldn’t hit another one for at least 20 pounds or so. You see, I need to lose another 35-40 pounds. At the rate I’m going now, it will probably take more than a year.

I realize that at the start of my diet, my body was not used to the exercise and it was shocked into losing the weight. However, as my body adjusted to the routine, it knew just how much energy to expend in order to complete the exercises. Yes, I know I talked about this in my first article on the dreaded Weight Loss Plateau, but it does bear repeating.

As I mentioned, at first I thought the stagnation was due to the extra muscle mass I gained. You see, after the last plateau, I mixed it up a bit and added new exercises for muscles I had not previously targeted. My thought was to once again, trick my body and it worked, but this time for only about a month.

As of this writing, I have followed my own advice and have just completed my week off from working out. Yesterday, I started a new workout routine and I have to say that today I am sore! I’ll let you know if this has broken the plateau.



This is part of a Blog Hop with Angie's Healthy Living.

1 comment:

  1. My advice to you is not to give up. Everyone experiences this. Sometimes you don't need to change anything. It just takes your body a little bit to adjust to the amount of exercise you are doing.

    However, sometimes the reason can be fixed by us looking really close at our caloric intake and the types of food we are eating.

    If you are doing all of that right, maybe you are not drinking enough water.

    Also, you might consider taking a supplement. Your body might be needing something.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics