16 March 2009

Fitness Tips: The Exercise Excuse

close-up picture of a cat staring at you
How many times have you been thinking about starting an exercise regime, but have come up with a variety of excuses as to why you shouldn’t. Some of my own favorites are: I’ll wait until I can afford some new workout clothes; I need a treadmill before I can workout; I don’t have an iPod, and my personal favorite……I’ll wait until I lose some weight first.

Now, I personally have used each of these at one time or another and I must say, I can make it sound convincing. After I convince myself that I need to wait, I promptly forget about the excuse I used and continue on the same way. A couple of months later, when I again deign to see myself in the mirror, the cycle starts all over again.

The saying, “Why put off for tomorrow what you can do today,” comes to mind. We can always find a valid excuse for putting something off; however, what we need to do is to find a valid excuse for actually doing it. We need to stop making excuses and start doing something. We don’t need new clothes to sweat in. We don’t need a treadmill when there is a perfectly good sidewalk outside. We don’t need an iPod to keep us company for 20 minutes, try silence and good old fashioned imagination. Once we put the excuses aside, we can begin to put the pounds aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics