06 January 2010

Making Texas Brownies


photo of texas brownies

photo courtesy of...
retorte.blogspot.com
Yes, I had to use someone's photo, because stupid here forgot to take a picture, again.

I made these a few days ago for my wife's friend at work and I decided that you may all want to have a go at these brownies. I have made these several times over the years and I must say that it is the best brownie recipe I have ever come across. I originally got this recipe from About.com and I will provide a direct link to them at the end of this article. In the meantime, sit back, grab a cold glass of milk, and get ready to enjoy some of the best brownies you will ever taste. Oh, in case you're wondering, yes, I allowed myself a small piece of one.


What you need...


For the brownies...


Flour...2 cups
Sugar...2 cups
Butter...½ cup
Shortening...½ cup
Coffee...1 cup strong (I use an instant espresso for this)
Unsweetened cocoa...¼ cup
Buttermilk...½ cup
Eggs...2
Baking soda...1 tsp.
Vanilla Extract...1 tsp.


For the frosting...


Butter...½ cup
Milk...¼ cup
Cocoa...2 Tbsp
Powdered sugar...1 ½ cups
Vanilla Extract...1 tsp

Putting it together...

  1. Preheat oven to 400°
  2. Lightly grease an 11 X 17 inch baking pan (I don't have a pan of this size, so I just used a 9 X 13 inch pan and it worked just fine)
  3. Grab a large bowl and add the flour and the sugar
  4. Mix well
  5. In a large saucepan, add butter, shortening, coffee, and cocoa
  6. Over medium-high heat, stir constantly until the mixture boils (this takes about ten to fifteen minutes)
  7. Once it comes to a boil, pour over the flour/sugar mixture
  8. Using a whisk, mix to combine
  9. Add buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla
  10. Mix until combined and then pour into you baking dish
  11. Bake for 20 minutes
    1. The Frosting...
    2. Whilst the brownies are baking, grab a saucepan and over medium-high heat, combine the butter, cocoa, and milk
    3. Stir constantly until it comes to a boil
    4. When it boils, turn-off the heat and add the powdered sugar and vanilla
      • I add the sugar ½ cup at a time and mix well after each addition.
    Back to the brownies...
  12. Using a toothpick or a knife, insert into the center of the brownies, if it comes out clean, your brownies are done
  13. If it does not come out clean, bake a few more minutes and recheck
  14. Continue with step 13 until they are done
  15. Once done, remove from oven and immediately pour frosting over your brownies
  16. While your brownies cool, take a glass of milk and place in freezer
  17. Once brownies are cool, I take a pizza cutter and spray it with Pam and use that to cut the brownies
  18. Grab your milk from the freezer and enjoy


texas brownies from about.com

8 comments:

  1. Storm, The Psychotic Housewife: Brownies and cold milk...what a combo :)

    Joy-Anne: They really are! I just wish that I could eat more then a few bites (my Die with a T).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so yummy! Glad you tried some! Life's too short to not enjoy the good things in life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look delicious. now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Chocolate is my weakness. I gotta try these!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these brownies look delicious! I could go for one right this very moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look delicious -- I wish they could jump out from my computer onto my desk, if only......

    Edited to remove dead link. Comment originally published on...
    07 January, 2010 09:15

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics