20 July 2010

Choosing a Spice Rack

Ever since I started cooking, it seems as if I have been fighting an endless battle. I cannot count the number of times that I will be in the middle of making a dish and I stop to open the door to the pantry and begin a frantic search for an herb or spice. You may ask why I don't just get everything together before I start cooking? Well, when I bake, I line everything up first and then systematically work my way through the recipe, but when I cook, it is no-holds barred. You see, when I cook I very rarely follow a recipe; I like to improvise and experiment with different flavors. This being the case, I usually don't know what herb or spice I will use when I begin cooking. Thus, the battle continues.

I will be the first to admit that my kitchen is not the most organized room in the house. You would think that with the amount of cooking and baking I do, I would have all my herbs and spices lined-up in a row, just waiting to be called into service. Alas, this is not the case in my kitchen. If you are like me and find that your pantry looks as if a gang of gnomes have just thrown a wild party, then you may want to follow me as I hunt for some kitchen spice racks, so I can finally end this battle.

The first thing to take into consideration is where you want your spice rack to go? Do you want to store your spices on the wall, on the counter, in a drawer, or even hanging behind your pantry door? However, before you decide where to put it, you need to know that herbs and spices should be stored in a cool, dark space that is away from heat sources. sources. Now, this doesn't mean that you shouldn't use a wall spice rack, it just means that you need to more selective as to where you place it. For example, you may not want to put it opposite your kitchen window or right next to your stove. In our kitchen, a great place for a wall rack would be under the cabinet that is next to our sink. Although it is near a window, it never receives any direct sunlight and there's no heat source nearby.

Another place to store your herbs would be right back in the pantry. Now, I know that space is at a premium, so a good option here would be to go with a hanging spice rack. This little beauty hangs on the back of the pantry door and holds all of your herbs and spices. Since it doesn't take up any shelf space, you have more room to store your pantry items. Another option would be to store your spices using a drawer shelf. If you happen to be one of those few who are blessed with ample drawer space, this might be something you may want to look into.

Although choosing a spice rack is not difficult task, it does require some planning. Once you decide exactly where you would like to store your spices, it is then just a matter of choosing a rack that fits your needs. These racks come in all shapes, sizes, and materials, so this is where your decision can become difficult. By narrowing down WHERE your rack will go, you can help make your decision easier. As for me, I think I'll go with the hanging rack and put it on our pantry door. So now, when I'm in the middle of making dinner and need something to cover the taste of my cooking, I'll be able to find what I need.

Disclosure: As you might have been able to tell, this was a paid post and I was compensated for my time and effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics