In the stores, you can purchase a 5.5 oz bottle of onion salt for around $2.93 or a 32 oz bottle for just over $12. By making your own, you can save around $1.50 for a 5.5 oz size or $8.00 for 32 oz. Oh, and by the way, you can also make garlic salt by following the same directions.
The only important part to remember, is to follow the ratio of 3:1: That is, 3 parts salt to 1 part onion powder. You can use any measuring device you wish, just keep to that 3:1 ratio and you'll be fine.
For example, let's say you just need to make a small amount; you can use a teaspoon for measurement. If you need a larger amount, you can use a 1/3 measuring cup (which is what I used when making this).
|Onion Salt Ingredients|
- Sea salt
- Onion powder (or garlic powder if making garlic salt)
- Measuring device (cup, tablespoon, teaspoon)
Putting it Together:
- Take 3 parts salt and put in bowl
- Take 1 part onion powder and put in bowl
- Using a whisk to mix thoroughly
|Mixing the salt...assault with a whisk :)|
- Put into bottle