Makes 16 servings
What you Need...
* 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 2 cup chopped yellow onions
* 1 cup chopped celery
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
* 3 teaspoons minced garlic
* 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
* 12 ounces oyster mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
* 16 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
* 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
* 2/3 cup brandy
* 12 cups chicken stock
* 3 cups heavy cream
Putting it Together...
- In a large stock-pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, celery, and cayenne
- cook, stirring until they are soft, about 5 minutes
- Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper
- cook, stirring until the mushrooms shed their liquid and start to brown, around 7-8 minutes
- Add the brandy and bring to a boil
- cook until everything is glazed, about 2 minutes
- You will notice that the veggies and the mushrooms will become shiny, this is what you are looking for
- If you are going to freeze any of this soup, now is the time to do so...without adding the cream.
- If you do freeze some, you will need to adjust the amount of cream you add to the remainder. I would suggest adding it per your taste and the desired consistency
- If you cannot have uncultured dairy products, you can replace the cream with sour cream or, if you feel fancy, Crème Fraîche. Note, you will need to add it as you would a roue; otherwise you will get lumps
Photo courtesy of... tweet-n-eats
You will need approximately 41/2 cups of this soup for the casserole. I was left with just about 5 quarts that I was able to freeze.
Recipe courtesy of... Food Network and Emeril Lagasse
Next Time: The Green Bean Casserole