15 November 2010

My Thanksgiving Schedule and Crème Fraîche

Here is the second installment in my getting-ready-for-Thanksgiving posts. Here is a sample schedule that I will be using this year, which will help ease the stress (Yeah, right) of the Holiday:

  • Saturday... Cleaning the kitchen (the worst part of getting ready)

  • Sunday... Make the Crème Fraîche and compound butter

  • Monday... Complete cleaning the kitchen

  • Tuesday... Making the apple pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and the rolls

  • Wednesday... getting the Manicotti ready (will bake on Thanksgiving), get the turkey ready for it's starring role, and generally making sure everything is good to go

  • Thanksgiving... The madness begins

I use the Crème Fraîche (basically a very rich sour cream) in my apple pie (I will share this recipe in the next few days) and any leftovers you may have can be easily used as an additional garnish for your mashed/whipped potatoes. The recipe for the Crème Fraîche is very easy and takes very little preparation, however, it does take 24 hours for it set, so it is best to make the one or two days before you plan on making your apple pie. For example, I usually make the pie on Tuesday, so I will start the Crème Fraîche on Sunday night.

photo of Crème Fraîche
photo courtesy of... artistta.blogspot.com

Crème Fraîche:

Things you'll need:

Heavy Cream...1 cup
Butter Milk...1 Tbsp
jar w/lid...1



Putting it together...

  • pour heavy cream into jar

  • add buttermilk

  • mix well

  • put lid on jar and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours, then refrigerate

  • can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week

  • Any left-over Crème Fraîche can be used as a very rich sour cream.

8 comments:

  1. wow...can I place an order and you cater? This sounds so so yummy!!
    Jackie:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are just so organized. Me, it's a mad dash to try and get everything done at the last minute. Good thing I don't have a houseful of people coming every year for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept thinking Creme Fraiche was some sort of exotic dessert itself!

    You are pretty organized. Two days devoted to cleaning the kitchen is impressive. I don't think our kitchen has ever been that clean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shinade: Thank you! Sure, not a problem :)

    Ann: Basically, I'm trying to make it so that on Thanksgiving, I only have a few things to do...this was learned the HARD way :)

    BeadedTail: It sounds like one, doesn't it? Once a year, I do a very thorough cleaning of the kitchen: from the tops of the cabinets on down...including all appliances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are sooo organized! I'll be lucky if I can stop chasing my tail long enough to toss a pie in the oven some time on Wednesday! Fortunately my Mom does Thanksgiving at her house and invites the entire clan so I'll just make a pie to add to the dessert table and then help her on Thursday when I get there. And, could you please come clean my kitchen some time? Its a disaster area. I've given up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Split Rock Ranch: Sometimes I kick myself for opening my big mouth over 10 years ago and saying that we would host.
    About now, I'm ready to just chuck a grenade in the kitchen and start over :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow you are a well organized person. Goodluck for the thanks giving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silvergirl: Thank you, I'm trying :) I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics